At The Coffee Lounge we have always strived to minimise our impact on the environment. In 2018 we were awarded the prestigious ‘Green Tourism Bronze’ award in recognition of our efforts.
We are also part of the steering committee that is working in conjunction with Surfers Against Sewage and their plastic free coastlines initiative. We are committed to reducing, re-using and recycling wherever we can and encouraging our customers to do likewise. Here are some of the ways that we are working towards being a sustainable and responsible business.
- We are working towards a #plasticfreestives in several ways. We use plastic alternatives that are biodegradable and/or compostable. Our iced coffee cups and straws, for example, are made from a plant starch plastic alternative, you’d never know the difference!
- We encourage the use of re-usable cups by offering a 20p discount to those customers who bring their reusable cup for takeaway hot drinks and if you buy one of our fabulous Joco cups you get a hot drink for free.
- For those customers who need a takeaway cup, we pay extra to source from suppliers that plant trees with every box of takeaway coffee cups we purchase (The Green Earth Appeal) and have recently introduced a compostable takeaway cup as a more sustainable alternative to the plastic-lined cups commonly used, with full information on the cup how to best dispose of it.
- All of our soft drinks are available in glass bottles and we even stock the wonderful CanO Water, a sustainable alternative to the plastic bottle for water on the go.
- We sell reusable Chilly’s bottles, including the blue, ‘Refill’ bottles that donate £3 to that water charity and we are happy to fill your water bottle with tap water for free!
- Our mantra is to reuse, recycle and reduce. We reuse the bags our bread arrives in for waste bin liners and we bag up our used coffee grinds and give them away to gardeners, it’s great for increasing drainage, water retention and aeration in the soil.
- In the catering industry, a lot of our supplies come packaged in plastic or cardboard, we recycle 100% of this and further reduce our general waste that goes to landfill by selling sandwiches and pastries for half price daily from 2 PM.
- We are passionate about sourcing our food locally and promote #eatlocal. We work with local suppliers for everything including our cakes, dairy, coffee, fresh produce and even tea!
- Whilst we are promoting the use of plastic alternatives we are also mindful of the large amount of plastic and other waste that blights our beautiful coastline, our beach cleans are proactively removing plastic and other waste as well as spreading the word and working towards a #plasticfreestives
- Finally, why not replace your plastic shopping bag with one of our fab totes and help spread the word, £1 from every sale is donated to Surfers Against Sewage.
What do we mean by…
Biodegradable: Biodegradable items will degrade naturally from naturally occurring microorganisms such as bacteria and algae.
Renewable/ Sustainable: Renewable/ sustainable items are created from resources that can be sustained at current levels if the current consumption levels continue.
Compostable: Refers to items that can compost within a set period of time in the ideal conditions of a commercial composter. However, even when such a facility is unavailable, plant-generated plastic substitutes are still preferable to the traditional plastics created from oil and petroleum. They are made from a sustainable resource, they use less energy to manufacture, they do not provide a net increase in CO2 when they break down.
Recyclable: When materials can be separated and reprocessed into a new product.